New Teachers (or Teachers who feel new),
Congratulations! You've almost half way through the school year! If you're like I was at the beginning of my career, the following things probably ring true:
1. It's not at all like on TV.
2. It's a lot harder than you thought it would be.
3. You're starting to get the hang of it.
4. Just a couple more easy weeks, then a nice, long and restful holiday season!
Well, the first two are definitely true. But don't worry; everyone feels like that. The last one, though...
Well, remember how your students were right before Halloween? Multiply that by 10.
So, here are some tips and strategies to try out or keep in mind as we all get geared up for a restful break:
1. Lesson plan and make copies for at least the first week after break so you can actually rest and re-charge.
2. Plan less intense, more interactive activities that let your students talk - 'cause they will anyway. Harness it for learning.
3. Don't be afraid to try something new. If it works - great! If it fails miserably, your students probably won't remember it in two weeks after break anyway.
4. Lastly, relax over break. You are doing your best, and things will get better.
Relax, and Happy Holidays,