A great strategy for getting all of the students in your class engaged! It can be used whole group or with small groups of students!
1. Pose a question or prompt to the class and/or group.
2. Have the students turn to a partner.
Possible names for partners:
3. Set a timer (each partner should get the same amount of talking time) and allow each partner talking time.
4. Allow the groups time to share with the whole class or other groups.
When to use turn and talk?
Turn and talk is a great strategy for ANY lesson. It engages 100% of your students. Some examples of great times to use it:
1. As an exit slip
2. Any time a question is posed to the class. Students then get a chance to practice the
answer before answering before the class.
3. As a wrap up or discussion point to chunk and chew new information.
4. During warm-up activities.
Click HERE to get a printable version of these directions.